Sunday 9 June 2013

Day 38 ! Boom! Hip-hop Cycle


Exercise stimulates endorphins production.
Endorphins make you happy.
Everyone wants to be happy (emos excluded).
Ergo, everyone should exercise.

It’s a no brainer. But, what is a brainer, some might say (actually no-one says that, but maybe it’ll catch on), is finding the right exercise for you. If it’s not something you enjoy, you won’t do it again and you shall remain endorphin-less. Fact.

Take spinning – lots of people swear by it so I tried a spin classes at the gym a few years ago. And didn’t get it. So, I tried it again (mental rule – must try everything at least twice before writing it off because some things just need some getting used to)…and still just didn’t get it. And, if it wasn’t for this 80-day challenge and people asking why I haven’t tried spinning yet, I probably would have put it off for a bit longer. So, I looked up spin classes and tried to find one that wasn’t part of a gym, which needed a lengthy minimum contract (such an outdated method when there are so so many different places and different classes in London!) and didn’t need membership. Then, boom, I found Boom!. I can’t remember how I came across Boom! in searching for spin classes but I can remember clearly what made me suddenly decide to try a class there. They were having a hip-hop spin session. Music to my ears! Prayer answered! This, I thought, was a spin class I could finally get excited about. And on a Monday (gasp!), who looks forward to Mondays? (Disclaimer, this class was actually on Monday 10-June. My apologies to those who feel misled that such a fun class would take place on a Sunday.)

You should know that there’s something about the moment you start to descend into the Boom! basement for the first time - at first, you’re a bit unsure (as with all basements). But then you open the door and hear the blast of pumping music, see the cheery receptionists laughing and happy people milling about the studio and you’ll feel a-ok.

Boom! has one spin studio – though it is a pretty awesome room. Reminiscent of a club, it’s dark (very dark during the class), surrounded by mirrors and only dimly lit with some green and blue club-esque lamps around the room. I don’t know enough about indoor cycling bikes to comment on them specifically but they were easy enough to adjust (with a little guidance from the friendly lady on bike 26!). And you get to pre-book which bike you ride which was a plus!

Instructor Emily played a wicked set of hip-hop tunes (unsurprisingly, I found out after that she is also a DJ), including 50 Cent, Kanye West, a bit of JayZ I believe and the trusty favourite Blackstreet (feat Dr.Dre)’s No Diggity. We were warned at the beginning that hip-hop is slower than the usual fast-paced house-style music played in spinning classes and she wasn’t lying! But don’t be deceived – slower just meant more resistance to mimic cycling up a r.e.a.l.l.y big hill. Because you can adjust the level of resistance yourself, it is up to you how hard you push yourself but with the encouragement from Instructor Emily, the dark, moody atmosphere and the good tunes, it was easy to Lose Yourself in the moment (see what I did there? Though that wasn’t on the playlist) and just go for it!

Personally, I think it would be great to have a hip-hop spin class as a more regular class (it’s currently a ad-hoc special) but I note there’s a disco special coming up, in addition to the normal house-music classes so there is something for all music tastes (except love ballads. So far.).

I, stupidly stupidly, forgot my heart rate strap for the class but if that means I have to go back and try another class…purely for the sake of maintaining accuracy and consistency in the blog, well then, so be it. If it helps though, as my friend Miss M said at the end of the class, “I’ve never sweated so much in my life.” Boom.

The Need To Know:
- Where: Boom! Cycle (http://www.boommybody.com)
- Nearest Station: Old Street (5mins) / Shoreditch High Street (6mins)
- When: All week, seven days from early morning (06.15/07.15am to 19.30/20.00ish)
- How Much: Intro offers (£7/first class or £25 for 14days) else £14 single class or multi-class packages
- Special Note: Addictive! The nice girl on bike 26 (who left before I could get her name), said she started on 2-3 times a week but now goes 5 days a week.

The Want to Know:
- Who’s it For: For those who are after a sweaty, hardworking solid workout to decent tunes
- Sweat Scale: 8/10.
- Strength / Cardio / Flexi / Tone: Cardio
- Complexity: 6/10. You ride.
- Fun Factor: 8/10
- Changing Facilities: A few shower and a toilet in the changing room.
- Instructor Inspiration: 9/10. 9. Nuff said.

The Stats:
- Total Time: 43mins
- Calories Burnt: Who knows?! Lots?
- Average Heart Rate: ??
- Max Heart Rate: ???????? Until next time!


Enthusiastic (and FIT) Instructor Emily

Miss M and I outside the studio

Miss M's Freaky Toe-Trainers!
(see Day 30 willPower and grace)



No comments:

Post a Comment