Thursday 30 May 2013

Day 28 ! Sculpt & Tone


For me, this 80-day challenge was more about finding fun new activities, setting a challenge and sharing different ways to exercise rather than reaching a specific weight loss target. I assumed (happily!) that I was going to get fitter, probably slimmer and more toned as a result anyway which would obviously be amaze-balls (yes, I said amaze-balls).

But since some people are asking (feel free to ask more questions in any comments section and/or share your thoughts!), I don’t think I am getting slimmer. More toned perhaps but not really. However, I should clarify that this is not surprising and I am pretty sure why this is the case…the simple maths of calories out vs. calories in.

I compensate for the daily exercise. Probably overly so. On average, each session (regardless of time) has burnt 186 calories (excluding sessions from Day 1-3 Fatcamp). That includes some unsurprisingly low burners (most yoga, tai-chi – between them an average 1.3cal burnt per minute) but also includes the sweaty, hardcore calorie burning sessions (tennis - 6.7cal/min, boxing – 6.5cal/min, running – 6.2cal/min). 186 calories is, roughly
(i)           just over 1.5 Cadbury’s twirl fingers, or
(ii)         2 Lindt lindor balls, or
(iii)       a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte, or
(iv)        less than 2 bags of Popchips, or
(v)          less than a whole eat natural bar.

Initially I was surprised at how few calories were burnt during the sessions but after some thought, I guess it does make sense that exercise alone can only get you fitter but to see a visible difference, you would need to combine it with clean eating. I just don’t like saying “No” to those treats!

The first thing to note about today’s class is the location. Of all the classes I’ve tried so far, My Fitness Boutique is in the oddest location (even over the under-railway arch, rough n ready Day 25 Crossfit – that was kind of fitting to the Crossfit ethos) – down a little lane, past the array of lively car garages, up the metal steps in the corner and you’re there. Once inside (door code required), this isn’t your typical smiley behind desk receptionist, bustling gym - the owner checks you in on his laptop in the corridor and into the studio you go. The studios themselves are actually quite nice with big windows, decent mirrors (some places do have clown-mirrors which is seriously off-putting), basic but clean and tidy equipment and plentiful space.

So, today was a Sculpt and Tone class and true to the name, the exercises were all of a low-impact, repetition, pulsing nature. Light hand weights were used for arm toning exercises, a step was used for planks, triceps dips, sit ups etc and the rest were good ol’ fashioned lunges, star jumps, you know it. The class didn’t feel like the most intensive class but the stats show – it’s just shy of the 186-calorie average so as a 45-minute class, that ain't too bad. I did get the feeling that the others in the class just weren’t feeling it (/making much of an effort) but credit to Instructor Samantha – she played good cheesy tunes, tried to encourage the class and was constantly enthusiastic. Sometimes the students are just a lost cause (except for me?).

At the end of the class, Instructor Sam did suggest that I try some of the other classes (I’m assuming because they have a bit more energy) so I will certainly do that and report back. It’s not pitching to be the new trendy place to be but with over 40 varied classes a week, an easy booking system and a respectable no-fluff attitude, I would still say this place is still a bit of a hidden gem if you work/live nearby and just need a fluffless place to for your daily dose of fitness! 

Right kids, I'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow again. It's the year anniversary of my Dad's passing. So will be off classes for the next 4 days but Dad would've told me to stick to it so I'll make up the classes when I'm back next week!

The Need To Know:
- Where: My Fitness Boutique
- Nearest Station: West Hampstead (8mins)
- When: Different classes 7 days a week
- How Much: Intro offer of £25/5 classes else £10/single class or various packages for 5 or 10 classes, monthly, 3-monthly and yearly.
- Special Note: You need to book classes in advance but there is an easy to use online system. Also, no contract and no monthly direct debits – you just pay for what you use!
  
The Want to Know:
- Who’s it For: For those who want an easy-to-follow all rounded toning class.
- Sweat Scale: 6/10.
- Strength / Cardio / Flexi / Tone: Light toning
- Complexity: 5/10
- Fun Factor: 7/10
- Changing Facilities: Two shower rooms and toilets. The shower was a bit chilly when I tried but I assume that was a temporary thing.
- Instructor Inspiration: 7/10. Didn’t stop encouraging!

The Stats:
- Total Time: 44mins
- Calories Burnt: 167
- Average Heart Rate: 111
- Max Heart Rate: 152


(Under-appreciated) Instructor Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment