Wednesday 29 May 2013

Day 27 ! Trampoline Fit


I have a mildly irrational fear of umbrellas. It’s not that I think they might come alive, hold me in a hooked headlock and eat me, I don't think that at all. But when it's windy (and rainy), I simply don't like the feeling of the umbrella pulling against me, it’s the tension, see. Makes me nervous. I know it’s ridiculous. As The Boy soundly pointed out when I mentioned this, no-one in history has been lifted and swept away by an umbrella (other than Mary Poppins, I thought). So I know it’s irrational but there we go, I’d rather just get wet to be honest.

I don’t have many irrational fears, it was really the only one that I knew about and I actively try and not give in to it (by basically forcing myself to hold an umbrella in the windy rain). But, today I am ashamed to say that I’ve discovered another one. Mini trampolines. The small ones about 25cm high and a 1m in diameter. Yep, it came as a surprise to me too.

In hindsight, the seed of fear implanted when Instructor Hugo asked us all to double check that our trampoline springs were working fine. So I did. And they were. So the class started and we were soon doing high knees, forward-back jump steps and mini star jumps on the trampoline. But I couldn’t seem to keep up with the ladies in front - they were stepping too quickly, jumping too fast and I could not for the life of me understand why. I’m not that unfit, I can star jump with the best of them, but I really struggled to go faster. Till the realisation hit that I was subconsciously tensing my whole body from fingertips to toes because of worry that the springs would snap mid-star jump and I would fall the long 40cm (I’m adding some jump height) to the floor. Ridiculous I know. But I warned you it was irrational. From that moment on, I tried to battle logic with fear – I am surely not the heaviest person in the class, the other people are all bouncing away energetically, your trampoline isn’t even bouncing that much relatively, don’t be absurd, it’s not going to break, even if it does break, you’re not exactly falling far, how can you comfortably hang upside down on a pole (Day 6 Pole Dancing) and be worried about falling through a mini trampoline, get a grip woman, you’re better than this etc.

I wasn’t. I improved a little but just couldn’t let go and get my trampoline-groove on. Which was a shame because I could see the rest of the class (which was packed) really enjoying it following bouncy ball of enthusiasm Instructor Hugo’s moves and I can see why it’s particularly good for core as you are constantly working to keep balanced. All in all it was like a class full of kids jumping around to some good cheesy top 40 tunes having a great time!

P.S. I will rate for a rational, trampoline non-fearing person.

The Need To Know:
- Where: Danceworks
- Nearest Station: Bond Street (5mins)
- When: Tue 7-8pm, Wed 1-1.50pm, Thu 6pm, Fri, Sat 1pm
- How Much: Day membership £2-5 plus £5-8 per class depending on day
  
The Want to Know:
- Who’s it For: For those who are comfortable with mini-trampolines
- Sweat Scale: 7/10.
- Strength / Cardio / Flexi / Tone: More cardio
- Complexity: 6/10
- Fun Factor: 6/10
- Changing Facilities: Communal showers (I’d bring flipflops), toilets (not communal), changing room, no lockers
- Instructor Inspiration: 7/10. Bouncey and bubbly!

The Stats:
- Total Time: 43mins
- Calories Burnt: 145
- Average Heart Rate: 103
- Max Heart Rate: 142 


Bouncy Instructor Hugo!

No comments:

Post a Comment