Sunday 26 May 2013

Day 24 ! Tai-Chi


We are on day 24! Over 3 weeks done and just under 8 weeks to go. That’s a scary stat. Looking back, the time’s gone pretty quickly - it did take some time at the beginning to find and plan classes but in looking for classes I was so amazed by the immense number of places offering different fitness classes or facilities, there really is no excuse for anyone not to find something that they’ll love. But if you’ve not found inspiration yet, there are some pretty cool fitivities coming up - the "elite fitness" trend Crossfit, ballet-esque class, a hiphop spinning class, aerial silks (tricks on two silks suspended from the air cirque du soleil style). I found a drop-in Willpower n Grace class (barefoot high-energy cardio class), a Bookiaka class (fresh from LA, will it be the next Zumba?) and will be going bootcamp-compare-a-crazy as the sun (hopefully) decides to get its hat on!

It’s easy to pick classes that I think I’ll like or enjoy but it’s not all about me so inevitably over 80 days I will end up trying some things that aren’t my cup ‘o’ tea but will match someone’s biscuit. And today was that kind of day. I was hesitant about going to this class – 45mins travel each way for an hour class that I was fairly sure only borderline counts as fitness – that is not efficient use of time. And it was a beautiful, sunny day. But in the name of around-the-fitness-world-in-80-days, I hauled ass, schlepped over to Finsbury Park to the Sobell Centre (one of the Better Leisure Centres), paid my £6.50 and headed onto Studio 2…

…where I brought the average age of the Tai-Chi class down to 55yrs. I mean that in a non-ageist way, in fact, almost the opposite – I found it inspiring that people were interested in keeping fit and mobile, regardless of age. It is super important (bad use of English but too much time in the company of French people…) to look after your body as you get older and so huge respect to those who take the time to make it a priority. Instructor

Tai-Chi is often thought of as a slower, gentle exercise (and hence suitable for the more mature) – in fact it is a Chinese martial art that was originally practiced for both its defence training and its health benefits (thank you Wikipedia). Over time, it became more popular and widely known amoungst people who had little interest in the martial arts side and from there it developed into an exercise associated with relaxing movements. And it was pretty relaxing. If you are fairly mobile and limber, you will find the movements very simple and gentle. But I will say, as you grow old (gracefully, one hopes), I can imagine these movements being gentle in the sense there is no pressure on joints stress in muscles, but good movements for mobility and stretching. And because the movements do have a martial arts style, they are very satisfying movements, albeit slow!

Tai-Chi? Don’t knock it I say. I’m keeping it on my Hitlist for the day my body gives up on high impact exercise.

The Need To Know:
- Where: Sobell Leisure Centre, Finsbury Park
- Nearest Station: Finsbury Park (11mins) / Arsenal (7mins)
- When: Sunday 12.30
- How Much: £6.50 for Non-Members
- Special Note: This class is full of regulars but all are friendly!
  
The Want to Know:
- Who’s it For: For those who are after something gentle and (very) low impact.
- Sweat Scale: 1/10.
- Strength / Cardio / Flexi / Tone: None (if you are a generally mobile person)
- Complexity: 2/10
- Fun Factor: 5/10
- Changing Facilities: Usual
- Instructor Inspiration: 5/10. She was very attentive of newbies!

The Stats:
- Total Time: 55mins
- Calories Burnt: 106 (Not sure how this can be – strangely close to some yoga classes. I was sure I would’ve burnt more calories walking to the studio…)
- Average Heart Rate: 81
- Max Heart Rate: 104 


No comments:

Post a Comment